Sunday, March 18, 2012

Roxas City | A Night Stroll In Baybay Beach


ROXAS CITY | Baybay Beach At Night
A Seafood Haven And Beautiful Night On Full Moon


Being that Roxas City, Capiz is the city of my birth. I know this place by heart, like the back of my hand. My fondest memories, shared with friends and family, and being that the 11 km Baybay Beach is very close to the city, citizens of Roxas City are never deprived of enjoying a quick fix beach outing.


Nothing much change in this beach since I was a kid who would always beg his mom for a weekend outing in here. Resorts come and go, the break waters just breakdown in their own, replaced by new and better one, new parks for leisurely lounging and free accommodation. After all, this is a free beach, people are not required to lodged in any of the resorts around, you just go to the beach, have a picnic for free, while others require a table of a small cottage, everyone is free to choose which.

This night, I was lucky. With some few friends, we enjoyed dinner by the beach, with the smell of the salty Sea Breeeze coming in, eating oysters and crabs over buckets of beer, I literally feasted, I say only myself because my friends eat sea food on a regular basis. This is one of the things that I've been missing since I left. More so, tonight was full moon, one of those times when the Moon is close to the horizon and it look like a big ball of red blaze. Very romantic. 


One of the many additions in here are the Sea Food restaurants, I remember enjoying these restaurants, eating lots of Talaba (Oysters) while dusting my feet on the grey sands, nowadays the restaurants are elevated but if you want to enjoy a stroll in the beach, just go down the ramp, the breeze is much enjoyable in an open space.


Roxas City is known for being the Sea Food Capital of the Philippines, and it is for good deal of a reason. Few people who doesn't know or never had experienced Roxas City may disagree about the tagline. They can't be blamed really, but Roxas City is really rich in the harvest of Sea Food. Fishing industry in here is thriving, hundreds of tons of Sea Food are harvested everyday, the only reason why most people doesn't feel it is because 80% of the harvest for the most part are being exported, leaving just enough for the locals to consume.


Try to observe the Topography of Roxas City, and you'll understand that this place is like a waterworld. Take a shot of the City's aerial view and the common landscape you'll see above are fish ponds on wide open spaces, and the sea that looks like its about to encroach. I always thought that the whole city is sinking, and it probably is. 




There are a lot of fish ponds around, with estuary river systems loping around the city bringing its own abundance, with Giant Crabs of Alimango, Giant Milkfishes, and yes Giant Prawns we locally call "Lokun." Fish ponds are the bread and butter of the local Millionaires from here, including the family of former Senator Mar Roxas, as it is, Roxas City was named after his family and their great patriarch President Manuel Roxas.


I would't be surprise if I someday visit other neighboring countries, and find their serving of Tempura or Crabs to be exported from Roxas City, Philippines. Aside from fresh seafood, the place is also known for dried goods, dried Dangit, Squids, even big fishes are only some of the best known products sold here. The quality of the dried good is astonishing as well, no other places can compare to the produce of Roxas City, the people here had mastered this craft for decades.


Francis Balgos is a Call Center Agent, Weekend Travel Warrior, Amateur Spelunker, Sometime Surfer, Newbie Mountain Climber, Photography Enthusiast, Certified Beach Bum, A first born son, Faithful lover, True Explorer...

Follow Me


All Rights Reserved
Pala-lagaw reserves the right for any watermarked pictures posted
No pictures should be downloaded or copied without permission from the blogger.

33 comments:

  1. Haayyy! Sobrang sarap naman! I hope to come and visit Roxas City someday and get to visit that resto by the beach...

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oi dugay ko sa Roxas..but I'm from Bacolod gid ya..
    If i am not mistaken Balgos is one of the prominent family in Roxas..I think my Shell Balgos Station before..dont know now..Agree! supah namit gid ya ang sea food sa Roxas.. ang Diwal! you miss Diwal Francis..hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shengkay... It's true there is a Shell Balgos Station, owned by a great aunt of mine. I miss the talaba! hihihi! the diwal not much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my look at those photos.. sarap! nami mag-lagaw da bah..soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. is that a tahong after the crabs pic? i so love it and now i wanna bake it coz im drooling to the max.

    ~germeline

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, Roxas isn't complete without indulging yourself to this tempting seafoods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh noh! drooling now at those foodies...

    i love how you capture the place here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grabe! I'm allergic to seafoods pero I still eat a lot of it (thanks to Claritin)! I actually love your seafood shots, especially the crab. Nakakatakam naman pumunta jan sa baybay beach! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oysters! They look huge. Yeah, I am fond of Roxas City too because I love seafood and this is the seafood capital of the Philippines. Even with only the shellfishes, I am sold with this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were born in Capiz? Pareho pala tayo. Sarap ng sea foods talaga.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @John, | with your last name.. I thought so! hahaha! nice meeting you here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! so nice pala nya sa gabi... i was there for a few hours after arriving at Roxas airport... very nice beach and ang lakas ng hangin... hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Pinoy Adventurista - yeah! the beach gets very active at night.. parties all over, and dinner by the beach.. As always, malakas yung hangin so it can get colder at night.. a rather pleasant cold since it is summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like sunset and sunrise very much! No not like but love! Anyway, You made me miss the sea foods! Crabs! Squids! Shells! Ehhh thanks for making me starving :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! you've captured those crabs and squids perfectly... have you visited Legazpi as well? we're wondering what nice place to visit there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg Nagutom ako! I love sea foods! At ang talaba o my!! Tagal ko na Di nakakakain Nyan... Ung mga uncle ko yan Parati pulutan sawsaw Lang nila sa suka so what I do Nung bata pa ako Kasama Ako ng mga nagiinuman at ako taga kain ng pulutan.. Hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i got a good look at those scallops and my mouth watered. you're lucky to be born there and have this inclination to go back because really, when you're born to a place, there's no other choice but to go back to your roots. and you're lucky because you are able to come back to that wonderful city every now and then

    ReplyDelete
  18. Someday, I will visit and invade your home town and fill my mouth with these tasty sea food delights! Sounds greedy ME! Nakaka gutom mga posts mo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Waaaa.. I envy you being in front of those fresh and yummy seafood! I bet they are cheaper than the ones being sold here in Manila. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. 80% exported? kaya pala.
    that thought somehow saddens me, because we don't get to enjoy our local produce. tapos, in return, tayo rin bili ng imports. *tsk*

    even if i'm not a seafood person, i'd love to visit Roxas someday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mahilig ka rin pala sa talaba. :) Did you have diwal there as well? It's my fave mollusk.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to go there! Superb sarap ng seafoods.

    ReplyDelete
  23. the second photo looks so mystic!
    and the seafoods, oh my... you had me drooling there :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so love your photos talaga. Is this the Lumix in HD setting?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Panalo yung seafood fest mo though di ako kumakain ng alimango for some reason. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  26. malalagutom ang photos mo!!! lahat yan kinakain ko! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  27. sarap ng post na ito.. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  28. Omg! I miss talaba! Namit!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. i love seafood. nakakagutom ang pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to facts about the Philippines, but having seen all these seafood shots you've taken that they look like about to go to a 5-star hotel, indeed, Roxas is the Seafood Capital of the Philippines.

    Directions on Web

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow. I really need to start exploring this city.

    http://wonderwomanrises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. ang sarap nung crabs wahhhh. pero ang hirap nyan kainin promise

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know Your Thoughts